Sunday, April 6, 2008

Training for Coast to Coast Ride

Since the beginning of the year I have logged about 8000 miles training for the "Fast America South" bike ride with America by Bicycle. I have trained in all conditions including days that were wet and cold that I would not have ordinarily ridden. I quickly got to the point that my base ride was 100 miles or more. Some of the rides were large fast group rides on weekends. During the week I would meet up with some of the riders living in S Dade County at Blackpoint Marina and continue riding another 50 to 70 miles solo after finishing with them back at the marina. I have also logged many days going to Key Largo via Card Sound Road this ride I almost always do by myself. One thing you get to do while riding these long rides is to be very keen on what is going on on the sides of the road. Like the Saturday morning a small group of us were rocketing along at about 28 mph(with tailwind) and I was pointing out the otters playing on the side of the canal next to the road. Then there was the morning a crocodile was getting its picture taken by a Miami-Dade Officer who said that being called out for the crocodile meant he was going to miss his bike ride that day. Then there are the birds. The great herons, wood storks, belted kingfishers, and of course the F-16s. I'm looking forward to seeing some different terrain and wildlife as I cross the country.
Since there is so much climbing involved in going cross country, and Miami is so flat I have gone to Clermont in central Florida many times. While there I have ridden the course of the Horrible Hundred century ride three days in a row each time. This ride is famous for hitting every steep hill in central Florida including the 16% of Sugarloaf Mountain, which comes about 85 miles into the ride. While some of the people I ride with regularly think I am going to be just fine on the crossing, the thought in the back of my mind is, am I ready?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Norman, GOOD LUCK! (particularly with pick-up trucks). Maybe you should get machine gun and mount it over your rear tire. You could aim it at the road but set it to fire warning shots across the "bow" of those who get too close to the side.

Anonymous said...

Norman is the King of Epic Rides!
Card Sound Road, Key Largo rides with Norman back in the day were always what I considered, "death marches". There are a few of us out there who have survived Norman's Key Largo/ Circle K rides. With his lovely 1-mile pulls at 28 mph drills Norman knows how to make one deliciously aware of exquisite pain and suffering, which in turn makes one a better cyclist.

Norman, good luck on your high mileage adventures.

Blessings from the frozen tundra here at 42° North. I wish you nothing but success. Lately it's been rides here in Wisconsin in 30° (April temps) windy days where we still see folks skiing at the local ski hill on the routes for the Horribly Hilly Hundreds in Blue Mounds, and piles of snow remnants. Your kind of extreme misery!