Monday, April 28, 2008

Galluping In The Cold

Gallup to Albuquerque NM 5000 feet, temp at breakfast 21f. Mike tells us at breakfast that this will be the first time he has delayed the morning start due to cold. We will load luggage at 7:45 on a day when we will be riding 136 miles. We start on Route 66 and then get on to I-40. The route has ups and down but we are gaining altitude slowly but surely to the Continental Divide. Our first SAG of the day is at the CD and Karen is taking pictures of everyone in front of the sign which indicates we are at 7200+ feet. After the break 7 of us form a nice pace line. The wind is 15 mph from the SE and oscillating. Between the road bending and the wind we keep changing the echelon from going from the left to the right and of course the times when it just head on. We meet up with Karen in the van and get the good news that lunch has been moved 15 miles sooner. We won't stop at the original SAG. About 3miles from lunch I get dropped while we are doing 18 mph. This is mentally painful to me. When I roll up to the van I just rest my head on my aero bars for a minute. The wind, cold and altitude have taken their toll. Especially the altitude, any real exertion causes me to be really out of breath even if my heart rate is not that high. I don't take of my goretex jacket and wind pants until the 76 mile mark. Just before getting on the interstate yet again we stop for fluid refills. The shoulder is in good condition and the trucks are not buffeting us around today. At the point that I feel I can get back in the rotation of the pace line I'm asked to stay in the back with my killer flashing light. Which can be seen for about two miles during the day. When we get off I-40 for the last time we have a really hard series of climbs to the point where we cross over I-40 and start descending into Albuquerque. Mike has told us that we could hit 55 mph going into town. With the wind I get up to 38 at one point. When we cross the Rio Grande I think that we are going to be at the motel only to find out that there is a second page in the cue sheet(s) and 4 more miles to go. Just at the motel it is in to Circle K for the requisite chocolate milk and Snickers. Must have that 1000 calories. Then off to the room to hide. Next post dinner exploits and the rest day.

1 comment:

Betty Trueba said...

Hey Norm,
Let the wind blow, the cold temperatures dip, let the altitude work its toll - YOU are made of bigger things than that! I am very proud of you. Mere mortals would have been riding at 10mph - you were at 18mph - my hero!!
Good luck tomorrow! FYI - It's 79 degrees in Miami at 8:55pm.