Saturday, April 26, 2008

Standing On A Corner in...

Cottonwood to Winslow AZ. The day starts with essentially 40 miles of climbing. This is mostly through the beautiful Red Rock Canyon. I start with Russ and his Dad Pete from the UK. At the first informal SAG they go inside of the Church where there are snacks laid out for us. I just top off my water and Gatorade and continue on by myself. The red in the sediment that gives the canyon it's name makes the Redlands in Miami look pale in comparison. The climb out of the end of the canyon is fairly steep in two miles there are six switch backs. So as you go you can look down on the road section or sections that you have already done. It is cool enough that while climbing I'm still zipped up. After the canyon it is mostly gentle downs and ups to Flagstaff. This is where the lunch SAG is to be. When I arrive Darrell, Andrew and James are waiting. I grab a quick snack and we are ready to head out. We cut through the campus of the Northern Arizona University. Lots of people walking around in T-shirts. I think it's way to cold for that, it's all what you get used to. As son as we leave campus we swing onto the bike path along side Route 66. Pictures must be taken under the Rt 66 sign. The pace is fast and soon my heart rate is through the roof. I ask for the others to back off a notch and we do while on Old 66 going to I-40. Once on I-40 the pace is up again I just can't cope with the charging up the hills. I tell them not wait for me and I watch them ride away and get smaller mile after mile. Soon they are out of sight and I try to keep the pace as high as I can. Being at even 6900 feet of altitude can put you in a deficit fast. You have to pay close attention as the amount of debris on the shoulder is enormous. Tire treads off trucks with the dreaded tire puncturing bits of wire, bits of wood up to 4x4's, bungee cords by the dozen and road kill. Not to mention the condition of the shoulder itself. When I get into Winslow I don't even have the energy to go to the corner made famous by the Eagles. I am told there is a flatbed Ford and Eagles music blaring from speakers. I go to the motel directly and the only way I can describe the way I feel is crisp. I muster up some energy and go across the street to Safeway for the requisite chocolate milk and snickers supplemented today with a sandwich. I hope this will tide me over till dinner. After lots of wandering around the local area and rejecting the fast food places we take a cab to a real restaurant in the downtown area. Apparently this is the only one in Winslow. The food is excellent, just what I needed. My energy level is back up and I am looking forward to tomorrow. I go back to the room and just go to sleep. I am sorry I am running a day behind with my posts, but life happens. I am hoping to catch up on the rest day. I do so much enjoy the comments of support that you are leaving for me.

No comments: