Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Tailwind To Tucumcari

Las Vegas to Tucumcari NM. Elevation 4085' temp 58f wind SW 22 gusting to 30 and beyond. Luggage load today is at 5:45 am. I sign in and return to my room to mix up a gatorade and get the bike to ride to breakfast. I had all the lights going visibility being so important to me. For those of you who don't ride I have lights on the bike that will burn your retinas if you stare at them too long. We go to a place called Charlie's. They were very organized about taking the orders but when the food came out they auctioned it off. Talk about confusion. When I was done eating I ran out of there like a thief. My plan today was two fold. One was to beat the SAG van to the second stop so I could play through so to speak(not have to stop). Two was to out run the Brits. The navigation for today was quite simple go from breakfast to Rt 104 go 110 miles turn into the motel. The wind direction meant that this was going to be a good day to play. For the most part we were going to have a tailwind. Also for the most part we were going to be descending in altitude. A few riders were out from breakfast in front of me. So I got to play chase the rabbit at first. Karen was driving the SAG van and keep leap frogging me and then stopping to take pictures. I came to one place in the road were there was a really long downhill with the really good tailwind. So as I crested the hill I gave few pedal strokes and just went into a nice aero tuck. Soon I was doing 52 mph fast enough. Others told me they were getting up close to 60 mph. They must have been pedaling all the way down. Next up the road drops off the top of a mesa into a box canyon. This is a steep technical descent with lots of turns and cattle guards across the road. The speed limit is 25 and I swear officer I never went more than 13 over the limit. At the first cattle guard I pulled over to get some photos of the box canyon. Again at the bottom out with the camera for some shots looking back up the road. I am first to the SAG and off with arm and knee warmers, into the "lost and found bin" to be picked up later at the motel. Next it's gloves off and sanitize hands before touching anything else. Refill water and gatorade. Just as I'm putting the gloves on a few riders pull in and want to know if I've been there an hour. Comedians everywhere. As I leave I say to Karen if I get to the next SAG before the van I'm going to straight through to the finish. Later James tells me he saw my light as he was getting to the stop. At 68 miles the cue sheet reads start steep climb for 0.7. Now while it was steep it was no Sugarloaf Mtn. As I was getting closer to the SAG every time I heard a vehicle come up behind me "please don't be our van". I pass the point where the SAG is supposed to be and I'm pretty sure the Brits won't catch me. Once in town and headed south the cross winds are really strong. I pull up to the motel and get to sign the sign in sheet first. Now I can go eat. First to McD then to Circle K for more calories. I get to the room and the front desk calls to say they have treats set up in the hospitality suite. I'm walking over and here come James and Andrew with the requisite chocolate milk and snickers under their jerseys. When the van comes the luggage is unloaded in minutes. We have route rap at 5. We learn that we are being booted from our rest day hotel by FEMA, doesn't that just figure. We will stay at a sister property very close by. More tailwinds tomorrow, sounds good.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Feeling good and strong? Beating the Brits? Tailwinds? You are on a roll, Norm!

Remember: what happens in Vegas, stays....you know the rest.

Fantastic recap. I have some questions, though, with all the riding, has your physique changed? Have you lost even more weight than when you left?

The Juan and only

Kevin M.Kirwin said...

Norman You are living my dream! ride safe and keep posting.