Friday, May 16, 2008

Welcome To The Onion

Perry to Vidalia GA. Temp at load 68f. 104 miles and 2500' climbing. I realized leaving the motel this morning today is the second day that I didn't have to wear arm and knee warmers or more. Today again we will luck out with the weather. The forecast for our last day is good too. So for the whole trip it rained on us for 1% of the distance. The usual morning routine. Breakfast, early loaders off and then the rest of us about 25 minutes later. Today it is the gang of six as Eric is taking it easy. We just roll along through the GA country side. At the first break we have a treat(punishment) RC cola and moonpies. Mike tells us that he is going to outlaw the pace line because we are not seeing anything but each others backsides. I say there is plenty of time to look around. Dr Scott is determined to stay in front of us today and leaves break just as we get there. Shortly after break Conrad must make an emergency pit stop. We blame this on moonpies. Then about 5 miles down the road Conrad gets a flat. We blame this on moonpies. We get to a spot where we are to turn off the state road on to a county road. Mike is there and says if we stay on the state road we will beat Scott to lunch. This turns out to be a double blessing. One we get to have a bit of fun with Scott. Two we will learn later that we traded some extra climbing for some really bad chip seal road. I'll take that any day. The only negative of the day came near the end of the ride. Some neanderthal threw water balloons at us. I guess even jerks can drive caddys. No one was hurt but it's not southern hospitality either. We arrive at the motel and there is no place to get post ride recovery chocolate milk and snickers. We opt for Ruby Tuesday and we are happy campers. I got a email from Andrew and read it to the group at rap. I can cry much better than Hillary. We went over a lot of the details for tomorrow. I addition to riding over 100 miles. We have a ceremony at the beach. A banquet. Packing bikes for return home. After the meeting some went back to RT for dinner. This might have been the best meal of the trip. On the first day way back in Apr at the beach as a joke I played The Star Spangled Banner. So I was trying to figure out a song to play at the beach tomorrow. Of course I turned to my music expert Amy. She recommended a song. I don't have the version she said to use. I do have a version with Tony Bennett and K D Lang. I hope I get to play it, for What A Wonderful World it is.

1 comment:

Taxi said...

I vote Norman for Prez of the United States of Snickers!... Because he rode up so many mountains and especially because he cried better than Hillary...

Go Norman Go!