Sunday, May 11, 2008

Food???

Senatobia to Aberdeen MS. 138 miles and close to 5000' of climbing. We start the day at the Huddle House across the street from the motel. I think it's OK. Some elect to just eat cereal at the motel. After last nights culinary hell some are not taking any chances. Load the luggage at 6:45 am. With the distance and the climbing it will be a real long day for some. The good thing is the favorable winds. The cue sheet's second instruction R at Yellow Dog Rd and Don't Miss in bold. The next instruction should of had some warning about not missing that turn. When we get there I see 2 riders have gone straight I call out to them twice but I'm not going down the hill after them. At least 4 others went the same wrong way. James needs to take a nature break. I'm rolling along slowly waiting for him. A group of 5 comes along and every one of them gleefully says on your left Norman. Two riders trailing them come by and one of them says what a bunch of smart asses. I didn't say so but I couldn't agree more. James, Pat and I roll up behind them and just tag along at the back for a while. We cruise up on Perry, Eric and Kirsten. Kirsten looks green. Shortly after Pat flats. Just as we are getting under way again. Kirsten, her dad and Perry roll up. I fall in beside Kirsten and she thinks she is a Huddle House victim. Pat and James are getting smaller. All Kirsten wants is Jim in the mechanics van to pick her up. I try calling him. No luck. I pace her to the first break. James and Pat are still there. James fills my bottles and gets me a few cookies so I don't waste a bunch of time removing my gloves and sanitizing my hands. Five of us start out together. There are many ups and down Pat is really pushing the pace on the climbs. Now there is a gap and getting bigger. Tom and I try to chase but Pat keeps pulling away. The two of us go into time trial mode. We were getting closer at one point but then the climbs got longer and steeper. Then I saw why Jim wasn't available he's parked in a ravine. No cell phone service in that spot I'm sure. Then the road starts to flatten out. Tom and I are slowly but surely eating into Pat's lead. It takes awhile but we finally close the gap. Pat is still hammering us on the climbs. All I'm trying to do is recover from the chase. All Tom wants to know is do we ride like this all the time? Miles and miles of nice road and some nice farms and ranches. We had a small bicycle induced cattle stampede. At one spot there was a bull on our side of the fence. There is a drainage gully between us. The bull runs out of room to run. It starts to make a u-turn and it looked like it got snagged by the barbed wire fence. Ouch. James catches up at the lunch SAG. We get cleared to miss the third SAG of the day as we will beat the van there. Aberdeen has no restaurants other than fast food. We stop on our way to the motel at McD and later have dinner at Subway. Both of which are about 2 miles away. Sonic is 1/2 mile in another direction and Wendy's a mile and 1/2 past that. Not having good wholesome food is taking a toll. Mostly mentally but I wouldn't eat this way at home. We are in a city tomorrow. A shorter ride and the promise of better food.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep your chin up. You are getting closer to home and some good healthy Miami cuisine! The home team is getting anxious for your return. We miss you and can't wait to see you.
Stay safe.
Ms. B.

Taxi said...

In the good-ish old days, Roman soldiers were each given a small sack of wild rice and a fist-full of crystal salt when they marched forth to conquer - that's all they were given... they would kill small animals for food on route to war, and forage for fresh veggies and berries... they were the strongest army at the time because they ate such macrobiotically balanced meals!!

I wonder how far the great Roman army would have marched on a diet of McBible burgers and freedom fries?... Inquiring minds really want to know...

Terrific job riding and keeping up with your blog, Norman... you're very brilliant, you know...

Thumbs up!

Anonymous said...

Hi norman is Paul and Kike we just find your wed-site we are proud of you and happy for you keep up we know yuo are the best, call me good luck